Sunday, February 20, 2011

Intro to Acetaldehyde (Ethanal)


About me:

Chemical formula:
CH3CHO

Name: Acetaldehyde (ethanal)


Polarity: Polar molecule



When I meet another acetaldehyde molecule, I am attracted to it by London dispersion forces, caused by the temporary imbalance of electrons around me. As our electrons move around us, we experience temporary dipoles, and our temporarily positive ends are attracted to the temporarily negative ends of each other. I am also attracted by the electrostatic dipole dipole force. This is because I am a polar molecule, and my positive end is attracted to the negative end of another molecule. Finally, I am attracted by hydrogen bonding. I have four hydrogen atoms which are bonded to one of my two carbon atoms. Whenever I encounter another acetaldehyde molecule, my hydrogen will break its covalent bond with carbon and form a temporary covalent bond with the oxygen of the other molecule. It will go back and forth, making and breaking bonds, between its original carbon and the oxygen from the other molecule.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the look of this blog. It is nicely organized and the background gives the impression that it a very factual blog. The angles in the molecule look accurate and the molecule looks like it is accurately drawn. Monica was correct that the molecule is polar and that Hydrogen Bonding, London Dispersion, and Dipole Dipole act upon the molecule when it is bonded to an identical molecule. I liked how the ad was written very much like an ad, and that it included a warning in it about how bad the chemical can be. However, I do not like how it is the top thing on the page, but I realize this is just because that post was made after the original post with the information about the molecule was published.

    ReplyDelete